Papaya is a very delicious and nutritious fruit. It promises an array of essential nutrients to anyone who consumes it. Its star nutrient is the enzyme papain. Papain contributes to both the internal and external health of the body.
Each bite of this sweet and bitter fruit, not only excites the taste buds but also infuses the body with core nutrients that support health.
- B vitamins, folate and pantothenic acid, sure to soothe the nerves and improve blood quality and flow;
- magnesium, calcium, and potassium, that work synergetically to strengthen bones and teeth and maintain cellular balance;
- all important antioxidants to fight off harmful free radicals;
- Vitamin C for energy and iron absorption;
- vitamin A to protect cells, tissues, skin, and eyesight;
- the compound carpaine to fight against tumor activity and fiber to support intestinal health.
Papaya’s featured nutrient, the enzyme papain, provides multi-faceted benefits to the entire body.
Papain digests proteins and has proved so helpful for digestion that many digestive supplements have been developed from it. It is soothing to the digestive system, is an anti-inflammatory and helps to digest excess mucus in the digestive system. In addition, intestinal worms don’t stand a chance when papain is ingested.
When papayas are green and unripe, they have higher papain concentration than ripe ones. (1) The seeds are high sources of papain as well.
Another internal benefit of papain comes from the papayas bitter aspect. This bitter quality helps dry dampness in the body, which takes the form of edema, cysts, tumors, parasites, candida, and excess body weight. Drying the internal dampness eliminates the environment these illnesses develop and thrive in, and assists the body to heal.
Externally, papain is refreshingly nourishing to the skin. It is a natural exfoliant of dead and dry skin and thereafter promotes a clean, soft skin glow. Papain is also anti-bacterial and helps to heal wounds. Regular rinsing with fresh papaya juice, slowly and steadily clears unwanted freckles and brown spots.
The many internal and external benefits that papaya provides just makes you want to immerse yourself in it and regularly enjoy its sweet bitter flavor.
What a wonderful, nutrient-rich gift of nature papaya truly is.